This week I was lent a copy of George R.R. Martin’s A Game of Thrones. For the last few years – I guess since the HBO show premiered – I have considered reading the series, but I always hesitate.
I’m not really sure I can handle it.
Plus, now everyone loves Game of Thrones because of the show – even President Obama. It’s just too… mainstream.
Anyway. I now have A Game Of Thrones sitting so innocently next to me, and I think—I think–I’m going to read it. Yeah. I’m going to do it.
I’m going blind into this. I haven’t watched the show, and even though it’s widely popular, I’ve only picked up on a few things:
- There’s a throne.
- And maybe a game, but that could be just a metaphor.
- Sean Bean is (was?) in the show, so obviously at least his character dies.
- But I did see this, so I guess I shouldn’t get attached to anyone.
- I’m not going to be able to pronounce anyone’s name.
- There’s some chick with dragons, and she’s apparently awesome.
- There was something called the “red wedding,” and it freaked everyone out.
- Oh, and winter’s coming.
I have to psych myself up for this. And I think I’m going to have to be real nerdy and read this while making character charts and taking notes. Just to keep track of everything. I could treat it as training for The Brothers Karamazov. (I still got to read that one. Time is running out.)
Has anyone else read A Game Of Thrones? What did you think? Any bets how long it’s going to take me to finish this? You know, because I have to work and write and babysit and eat and sleep. I have a life. Of sorts.